Protecting hardwood with a high-quality linseed oil ensures that your wood lasts much longer. Linseed oil Bästa Olja makes your wooden decking, teak deck, garden furniture or window frames water-repellent. Because no moisture remains in the wood, fungi cannot find food, it remains free of wood rot and the bending strength is increased. The unique purification method makes Bästa Olja a superior oil that does not yellow and dries quickly. The linseed oil is suitable for various hardwoods, such as bankirai, meranti, red cedar or teak.
Preserving wood with linseed oil?
Order Bästa Olja
A superior linseed oil for the best wood protection
The Swedish linseed oil Bästa Olja is unique because all non-drying ingredients have been removed through a unique purification method. All unnecessary substances that cause yellowing and bacterial growth have been removed from the raw linseed oil. This makes Bästa Olja a 100% pure, drying wood oil. Other linseedoil products are only partially purified, so that the quality of the treated wood is lower.
Resistant to mold and wood rot
Treating your wood with Bästja Olja makes it water-repellent, rot-resistant, dimensionally stable and increases the bending strength. Because the wood is waterproof, fungi cannot grow in – no organism can extract nutrition from dried wood or from the oil. An ideal decking oil or patio oil, especially for hardwood.
Deep penetration into the wood
Bästja Olja is absorbed 1.5-3 mm into the wood. This cannot be achieved with other wood oils, which do not penetrate as deeply into the surface. Field trials and tests in a rotting chamber show that wood that has been deeply impregnated with Bästa Olja remains rot-free for at least 24 years – even in moist soil! Normal linseed oil does not last even 3 years.
Preserving wood with a superior oil?
Order Bästa Olja
Step-by-step plan: how to treat wood with linseed oil?
1. Apply to completely dry wood. Brush in thinly and let the oil soak in. You can also apply the oil hot (130 C), this gives an even better result (see below).
2. By heating the surface with a hot air blow dryer or an IR heater while working, you will achieve a penetration of 2-3mm.
3. Remove any residual oil and dust left on the surface after 1 hour with a cloth. Then moisten this cloth with water (watch out for possible spontaneous combustion, see below). Oil left on the surface leaves a sticky skin.
4. The linseed oil continues to dry in reaction with oxygen and the time it takes to dry depends on two factors: the supply of oxygen and the temperature. At 20 ° C and with good ventilation Bästa Olja dries in 24 hours or less .
5. Wash brushes and tools used with a strong soap, eg Polarsken wood soap. Cleans the wood itself with water during maintenance. Do not use soap, this will damage the oil.
What are the benefits of Bästa Olja?
- does not compare at all
- dries quickly
- is sustainably and organically produced in Sweden, from Swedisch linseed
- deep penetration into wood ensures very long-lasting wood protection
What are the benefits of wood treated with Bästa Olja?
- fungi cannot grow in
- makes the wood water-repellent
- protects the wood against wood rot
- makes the wood resistant to fats, petroleum products, salts and acids, such as lemon, wine and vinegar.
Protect wood with the best oil rom Sweden?
Order linseed oil Bästa Olja
Optimal penetration: hot application of pure linseed oil
The heated application of wood gives an unprecedented good result! When treating wood with Bästa Olja at 130°C moisture in the wood evaporates and the cells open outwards due to the vapor pressure (vacuum). This allows the warm, thin liquid Bästa Olja to penetrate well. Proceed as follows:
1. Heat Bästa Olja to 130°C in a deep fryer. You can work safely with the oil at this temperature without causing a fire. The oil will not burn or vaporize.
2. Apply with a natural brush (boar bristles) – synthetic brushes will melt at these temperatures. You can see small steam bubbles on the surface when you apply heated Bästa Olja .
3. Spread from places that are saturated to places that still absorb oil. Keep applying and spreading until the entire surface is saturated. Small objects can also be completely submerged in the oil. The oil penetrates up to 1.5 mm, in healthy wood.
4. Then, after 1 hour, thoroughly wipe off any oil left on the surface. Oil left on the surface will become sticky.
5. Allow to dry for at least 24 hours.
You can order here: Bästa Swedish linseedoil
Frequently asked questions about linseed oil
What is linseed oil?
Linseed oil is pressed from the seeds of flax (Linum usitatissimum). In addition to oil, these seeds also contain many other substances that must be removed to make the oil usable. In the past, the linseed oil was left standing and the solid parts sank out. Fun fact: The residue on the bottom was used to make putty. In addition to these solids, the raw linseed oil contains 10 -15% other substances that can only be removed by intensive purification. With ‘normal’ linseed oil, this only happens partially, so that the full effect of the oil is negated. For example, beta-carotene, the coloring agent of carrots, ensures that normal linseed oil quickly yellows. Normal linseed oil also dries very slowly and not equally quickly in all places. This can cause cracks: in old masters such as Rembrandt, for example, you can see crackle, which are cracks in the top layer of the painting.
What can I use linseed oil for?
Swedish linseed oil is perfect for preserving all types of wood, for example:
- Teak yacht decks
- Hardwood terraces and decking
- Wooden garden furniture
- Furniture inside
but can also be applied well, for example, to:
What does linseed oil do to wood? How does the oil impregnate the wood?
Wood consists of relatively open cells, a bit like a sponge. The cell walls provide strength. If water can penetrate into the cell walls (and around the spaces around it), bacteria can attack the wood and cause wood rot. Linseed oil fills these spaces and can also penetrate the cells. After that it hardens (“it dries”) and water ingress is no longer possible. This gives the cells a support.
Bästa Olja is incorporated 1.5-3 mm into the wood. This cannot be achieved with other wood oils, which do not penetrate the surface. Therefore, the treatment is permanent until the impregnated wood layer has worn off, which usually takes decades. The oil colors the wood slightly darker as if it were wet.
Sunlight causes the surface to turn gray over time. The original color of the wood can be easily restored by rubbing a small amount of Bästa Olja into the surface.
The linseed oil slightly makes the color of the wood slightly darker when applied. It will look like the wood is a bit wet.
Is linseed oil poisonous? Can I work safely with Bästa Olja?
The linseed oil is non-toxic, you can work safely with it. You do not need respiratory protection because Bästa Olja does not contain any volatile or harmful substances. Make sure you have good ventilation. The oil is a poor conductor of heat and will not cause burns if spilled. Keep in mind that metal objects that have come into contact with hot oil can cause burns.
WARNING: RISK OF SPONTANEOUS BURNING!
Cloths and other porous materials moistened with linseed oil should be soaked in water immediately before disposal. Surfaces treated with oil will not ignite on their own. The hazard concerns only fibrous materials.