The ideal paint to paint outdoor shed and protecting your log cabin.
Do you want to paint a shed? Choose a paint that that gives you long term enjoyment with little maintenance. UV rays, temperature fluctuations, rain and wind can really harass a wooden shed. Moose Färg is a durable paint that extends the life of your garden house. The paint soaks into wood and with the right preparation the paint will not peel. This makes maintenance very easy: it is not neccesary for a couple of years and you do not have to sand when repainting.
Paint garden house? Order your paint in our webshop
Paint outdoor shed , Kiruna Grå with Norrland Vit
How to paint your outdoor shed with Moose Färg
The walls of an outdoor shed are often made of spruce or pine , whether or not impregnated or wolmanised. These have to be degreased with Polarsken natural linseed oil soap before painting. New wood has to be sanded with coarse grained sandpaper.
An existing coating, which is still in a healthy condition has no cracks and is not flaking. It is of great importance that the substrate underneath does not flake either. So, the substrate has to be checked thoroughly, and on places where it is flaking, all loose paint has to be removed completely. Use coarse grained sandpaper to make the old paint on your garden shed free of sheen. Sand in the direction of the wood fiber and remove the dust afterwards with soapy water. Allow the wood to dry and then roughen it slightly again, so that the protection system will adhere perfectly afterwards.
Order Moose Färg paint directly? Click here
Step-by-step how to paint a garden house:
With new wood
The walls of gazebos, roofs and garden rooms are often made of spruce or pine, and sometimes impregnated.
1. Degrease new (impregnated) smooth wood first with Polarsken soap and water, after drying, sand lightly with coarse-grained sandpaper (80 grit). Then apply 1 coat of paint.
2. You can get started right away with sawn non-impregnated wood. Graying wood that has been standing for a while can also be treated immediately with two layers, you only need to clean it.
3. With new wood it is advisable to wait a few months until the second layer, the wood still has to work and will form small cracks. After this you can apply the second layer.
For wood with an existing paint or stain layer
1. An existing paint or stain that is still in good condition has no cracks and is not flaked. It is very important that the underlayer does not peel off (detach) later on. So check the old layer carefully.
2. Where it peels, remove all loose paint completely. You can use the high-pressure sprayer for this (use the spray position so that the wood grain is not damaged). This can also be done with coarse-grained sandpaper. Sand in the direction of the wood fiber and after sanding remove the dust (and degrease) with soap and water.
3. Allow the wood to dry thoroughly, and then lightly roughen it again, so that the protection system adheres perfectly and the underlying paint does not peel off. If you want or need to do it more thoroughly, you can also burn off the paint.
4. Painting is then very easy: apply one layer with a block brush, let it dry and then the second layer. There’s no need to sand in-between painting the two layers. Make sure that the daytime temperature is above 15 degrees, then the paint is completely waterproof after 2 days. It should not rain for a few days.
Paint outdoor shed: types of Moose Färg paint
You want to paint your garden house with opaque matte colours? Moose Färg paint Moose F for your garden shed still showcases the wood grain and does not form a film on the wood. This garden shed paint ensures longer protection and requires less maintenance.
The transparent colourless Moose Färg paint for the inside of outdoor garden sheds, Storuman Skydd, keeps the wood grain completely visible and has no colour. The garden shed gets a natural look, but requires more maintenance if applied outside on the sunny side. This transparent ‘sunscreen’ has to be refreshed regularly.
Semi-transparent paint is a kind of ‘wash’: Dimma , which gives the wood a tinted haze. A complete opaque paint is also an option for a garden shed : Moose F. The wood grain remains visible, because Moose Färg is not a varnish but it works itself into the wood and really brings out the structure of the wood of your garden house. Wood stays wood!
Want to try Moose Färg colour combinations ? Create your own Moose Färg colour combinations .
Frequently asked questions bout painting a shed
When is the best time to paint a summerhouse?
If you want to paint your shed or summerhouse, it is best to do this at a temperature above 15 °C. If you paint at a lower temperature, the paint will not dry properly and there is a chance that a rain shower will come over it before the paint has dried.
Humidity also plays an important role. When the humidity is very high, the paint dries less quickly.
In the months of April, May, June, August and September there are many days with a higher temperature and lower humidity.
It is no problem at all to use Moose Färg at high temperatures or in the sun. It is recommended to thin the paint well because the paint will dry much faster and the chance of visible brush marks is greater.
What is the drying time of the paint?
Temperature and humidity play a major role in drying time. If you are going to paint at a temperature above 15 °C, the paint will be dust-dry after a day and good for the second layer. The paint is really completely waterproof and hardened after a week. Until then, you don’t want rain to come over it.
Do I have to impregnate my garden house?
By impregnating the wood, substances are added to the wood that extend the life of the wood. This mainly happens with wood species that are naturally less durable, such as Douglas, Spruce and Pine.
If you use paint from Moose Färg, you do not need to impregnate. The paint can be applied directly to the wood of your garden house, a primer coat is not also necessary. Moose Färg offers sufficient protection for your wooden garden house.
I have an impregnated garden house. Can I paint those too?
Yes, that’s possible. Leave your garden house for a while so that the wood can ‘sweat out’ the impregnation. If the wood is dirty or greasy, it is important to clean the wood beforehand. This can be done with soapy water with eco-friendly linseed oil soap Polarsken. Is the wood new and smooth? Then sand it well before painting.
Should I paint the inside of my summer house?
Due to the vapour-open character of Moose Färg, it is not a requirement to paint on both sides. This is necessary with many lacquers because the wood can warp when you paint it on one side.
It is possible to paint the inside of the garden house if you simply like it better. This gives you extra protection on the inside and you have a more pleasant appearance.
The wood of garden houses often has a relatively open structure and is sensitive to the ingress of water. With many types of lacquer, the wood is trapped and there is a good chance that water, air and dirt will get between the wood and the paint.
How can I treat the wooden veranda of my shed?
If you have a wooden decking or veranda, it is important to prevent moisture penetration. Because it is horizontal wood, water remains on it. This breaks down the cellulose cells and can cause rot. The wood also ages. Moisture penetration causes extra shrinkage and expansion so that cracks can occur.
This is easily counteracted with Pansar water-repellent preservation. This two-step treatment is based on nanotechnology, consisting of a silicone layer and an oil layer. This prevents water ingress. It helps against ultraviolet radiation, fungi, rot, algae, spores, against weathering, cracking and deformation due to water absorption.